Sunday 11 August 2013

Rubens Reboot (1st year project)

This project asked us to 'reboot' a painting by one of the masters. Once I got into it I really enjoyed it as I picked one of my all time favourite paintings, "The Abduction of Ganymede" by Rubens. Taking the time to really study it, take sketches of certain details and elements made me find things within it I'd never noticed before.At first however, I got a nasty artist block though (just like the block I got doing the 'recon book' project which I'll post up next) because... well... how do you improve/alter/change such an amazing painting?

Well I didn't improve on it at all, but I did manage to produce my first ever oil on canvas painting. I then got this scanned and reprinted onto a fresh canvas to turn into my reboot because I was scared to ruin it!
Out of a box we had to pick a phrase and then a film genre. I picked the phrase "He never realised probing was so good..." with the film genre being sci-fi. The end result was to be a movie poster.

                                The Original

                                            My oil on canvas painting.

                                            My final sci-fi movie poster. (poor quality photo...)

No comments:

Post a Comment